Tuesday, December 2, 2008

The Universe Doesn't Want Gideon's Trumpet to be Read...

Or watched, apparently.  Because of the sheer amount of people asking my CJ Intro professor if there was *any* way to get an extension, my paper (which, durrrr, is about 66% based on Gideon's Trumpet) is now not due until Friday.  Well, the weekend.  SOMETIME BEFORE NEXT CLASS, anyways.  LOL 

I managed to get my hands on a copy of the book... the ONLY copy that my library carries, actually.  They don't even HAVE the movie.  *Waukegan's* library has it, BUT - my house isn't actually IN Waukegan's library "jurisdiction."  What?!?  I can walk north, and be in Waukegan.  I can walk east, and be in Waukegan.  I can walk south, and be in Waukegan.  HOWEVER - if I walk west?  I'm in Gurnee.  And apparently that's enough for Waukegan to tell me to get the hell out of their library.  Heh.

Well, actually they said that I have to go get a card in *my* name at the Gurnee library (which I haven't done because I still haven't gotten my address changed on my license - WHAT?!?  They allow you something like, oh, 4 years or something, don't they?  What's that?  Oh... 60 days?  So I'm about, oh, 300 or something past that - what about it?), THEN come BACK to the Waukegan library with my new card, AND photo ID, AND 2 pieces of mail proving my address... THEN they'll let me check out a limited number of books &/or AV materials.

All I want to do is watch a friggin' movie from 1979, okay?  And apparently, the universe?  She is MOCKING me.  Because last night, I caved and re-upped Netflix at the BARE.MINIMUM.  Because it was either $4.99 for THAT, or $14.99 from Best Buy.  Plus shipping and tax, because ya know, the two closest Best Buys?  DON'T have it in stock EITHER.  Fuuuuu...

So, last night, there I was, all happy and *whew* because not only did my professor hand out an extension, but Netflix!  They get the movie to you the NEXT DAY!  There's no WAY I won't be able to get my paper done now - I *might* even have it in by the original due date (tonight by midnight)!

So sorry, hopeful one.  Here's how my day has gone to this point:

*  Wake up at 9am, trying desperately to breathe through this whatEVER it is that has decided to call my lungs "home."
*  Spend the next 15 minutes or so CURSING Netflix because apparently?  My *local* Netflix distribution center doesn't carry the godforsaken movie EITHER.  It will be shipped from OHIO *tomorrow.*  FUCK.
*  Lug my ass out into the 17-degree weather.  In a sweatshirt AND a leather jacket.
*  Thank the heavens that it didn't snow anymore yesterday AFTER I cleaned my car off to go down to the Waukegan library to be FAILED miserably.
*  Drive the 30 minutes it takes to get to my doctor's office, only the last 20 of which my car was warm for.
*Enter the building, go up in the elevator, walk all the way down two damn hallways to find a PRINTED LETTER taped to the f'in door stating that as of YESTERDAY, my doctor had RELOCATED.  To someplace that is TEN. MINUTES. CLOSER. to my house.  Motherfucker.
*  Wander my way BACK to the car and call the doctor's office proclaiming that I am now *officially late* and will be even LATER because of their sheer lack to inform me that, HELLO!  We MOVED, ya dummy!
*  Drive ten minutes in the general direction of home to the new office... and have to walk down an even LONGER hallway to get there than in the *first* building.
*  Be ridiculed by the fact that I have gained yet two MORE pounds, all the while consuming less calories than my three year old.  Ask doctor about this since, hmm... she is *always* the one to point out that weight loss = less back stress.  Get told that *3* of my medications can cause weight gain.  NICE.  It's a conspiracy, I tell you - especially since one of them is for my fibromyalgia.  Bastards.
*  Get told that I have bronchitis bordering on walking pneumonia.  Doctor sets up Z-Pak and Phenergan Syrup with Codeine to be called in, along with acid reflux medication in the hopes that I won't wake up choking on my stomach acids anymore.
*  Drive home.  Find three year old has been causing trouble, oh, since he woke up.  But he ate a fried egg for breakfast with cheese.  The joy.
*  Deal with same child arguing the issue of non-hunger until late afternoon.  He manages to *destroy* three pull-ups anyways with alarming calamity.
*  Go to Walgreens to pick up all my medications.  Discover that the insurance won't cover the cough syrup, but I *really* need something to quiet the relentless hacking.  Wind up paying almost *$25* for cough syrup.  Make myself feel better by getting a Glade Scented Oil Warmer starter kit for $1.99.
*  Come home to find son still acting like an ass... but finally amenable to eating lunch - at 3:45.
*  Try to brainstorm for places to build my very own padded cell.

You see?  I'm beginning to think that somewhere along the way, maybe one of the behavior-disordered kids that I used to work with, snipped off a lock of my hair and created themselves a little voodoo doll of yours truly.  And then threw it away.  So now it's being demolished by its adventures through the world of waste management.

Maybe?  Okay, fine.  Things just *suck* and I have to suck it up.  Or rather, I *would* if I could breathe.

So, my goals for tomorrow are to hear from Netflix that I *actually* have a copy of the movie I need on its merry way here and to be able to be awake without coughing for at least 50% of the day (though not all in one chunk because, honestly?  I think the excess oxygen from something so dramatic might just make me pass out.).

0 Harmonizations: