Monday, July 14, 2008

So, another family member passed

And it's a complicated situation.

See, it's on my mom's side.  And for the last 10 years or so, things have NOT been so happy between various members of that little Latvian clan, and we had not seen my great-aunt (my mom's aunt and godmother) for a number of years.

But her son didn't even call us to let us know. We found out from *another* family member, who actually isn't even blood-related.  I then sent a message to my cousin letting her know that I sent my regards and thet I wished her dad would have just called us.

Apparently, he took my advice... and spent some of the conversation trying to argue moot points about things that happened between my grandma and her sister a few years back.  Should it matter at this point, really?

Anyhow, I think I am going to go to the Visitation tomorrow evening.  I think my standpoint is this - my cousin specifically stated that she hopes she will see me there, because it's been a long time.  And whereas we were *definitely* off again, on again through childhood... she *is* now 25, and hopefully done a lot of growing up.  I think that I should at least offer a CHANCE at civility.

Maybe I have changed my mindset on things since having Grey.  I think the concept of family has become more important, even if they are all incredibly dysfunctional like mine.  Part of it is the wish that Greyson could just know and love as many people of the same "legacy" as him... and another part is that, well, I wish more of my family was able to *enjoy* him, as well.

It's sad that all of my dad's side are *states* away, but the members of my mom's side - the ones IN ILLINOIS, nonetheless - barely or DON'T talk.  Ever.  Except for various branches of the old-lady grapevine that pumps rumors, etc. through the Latvian chain.

I hope that tomorrow goes as well as can be, honestly.  For what THAT'S worth, at least.  Do I think that this will change everything and make the world whole again?  No... but at least *I* will know that I tried.

RIP Dzidra.

2 Harmonizations:

Valerie said...

Sorry for your family's loss. Not only the death, but the seperation too.

Larissa said...

Thanks, Val... =)